Sunday 10 August 2008

Neville Marshall Day

The blog mostly ignored July 18th owing to the main bloggers being at work, abroad and subsequently hard at work etc. This scandalous abuse will now be put right. Read on for a report of the day by R Jell Esq and a note of thanks from Neville. If anyone who played minds putting together a match report that too will be published. Although by the state of the younger generation on the following day (hungover to the point of ridicule) Wickman doubts anyone can remember.

Bonjour à tous

Thanks to everyone for your support for the Neville testimonial. It says so much about all of you, about Neville and the Wick that we could organise such an event.

For those of you who could not be there we had 2 hard fought games of Twenty/20, with one win apiece for the Young Turks and the Old Gits, followed by a barby and the presentation Neville. I reckon there were about a 100 people there.

The prize draw raised £5,000 and after giving 2 x £250 cash prizes and buying a digital camera [all the other prizes were very kindly donated by you] we were able to give Neville a cheque for £4,250.

The prize of the weekend at the Goring Hotel was won by Graham Mansfield, currently living in South Africa. I saw Graham at the recent Lord’s Test and he said if he won anything to give it to Neville. That started a bit of a trend and Tom McCarthy, who won both the cash prizes, extremely generously donated them both to Neville. And a HWRCC blazer, a case of wine and 2 bottles of Cognac were also donated to him.

It was all a massive surprise to Neville but I think he started to smell a bit of rat when the 2 teams and the many supporters clapped him off the field after a stint umpiring. After the presentation Neville made an excellent and very emotional response and then the celebrations continued long into the night.

So I would just like to thank you all once again. And I would like to emphasise just one more time that it was NOT my idea but that of the youngsters who are now running the club so successfully. It says great deal about what a fantastic place the Wick is.

A bientôt

Richard/Jelly

And then a note of thanks from Neville himself:

President, Chairman, Members of the Committee, Members and Friends

Subject: July 18th Invitation Cricket and Social Event

It is still difficult for me to express my feelings regarding the series of events which unfolded over the course of July 18th. As more and more familiar faces from yesteryear appeared, playing members, their ladies, social members and similar representations from the Old Kingstonian Hockey Club, it hit me that the only time I have witnessed such crowds over recent years was at funerals. When I saw images of me decorating the walls I thought, my God, it's me. I know I have had a rough time lately but you would you think you would know. However I was assured that the rumour of my demise had been much exaggerated (apologies to Oscar [Wilde not Culham]) and spent the rest of the day quietly enjoying myself and apprehensive about what was in store.

The evening BBQ was a treat and many thanks go to DBW and Margaret for standing and delivering with their usual degree of expertise.

Unfortunately the rest of the evening from my angle was an emotional joyride tinged with embarrassment after Jelly's Red Book treatment. Whatever happened to the 3rd lady? My embarrassment was compounded through my extraordinary luck in the raffle! Gradually my emotions turned to thanks and gratitude and, most importantly, appreciation to all involved in the organisation of such a wonderful and memorable day. A precedent perhaps? Whose name is going into the barrel next year. It could be YOU.

A final word in support of Keith's net appeal, a most worthy cause, and rest assured a percentage of my presentation cheque will be re-invested in this appeal in the hope that the work will be completed before the start of the next season to the benefit of members and the colts section alike.

Me? I am going to invest in a typewriter than can spell and a computer that I can understand.

Many thanks again to everyone.

Neville

No comments: