Monday 18 August 2008

HWRCC SUNDAY XI vs NPL

What was the point of that?

Star international player and colts pip the Wick boys in an unsporting affair…..

HWRCC SUNDAY XI VS NPL

HWRCC (220/5 off 40 overs) – Graham Tong 70+, Matty D and Nathan 40+)

Lost to (yeah right….)

NPL (221/8 off 39.2 overs) – Hirsh 3 wickets, Parkes and Tong a couple each - Their captain made 158+ btw….

It has just gone 11pm on Sunday night. I’ve downed a foot long subway and have shared a journey home with Duncan “sleepy” Kennedy. I’ve been spending the last 10 minutes thinking of a suitably inappropriate movie to compare today’s game to, but have drawn a blank. I’ve also tried to see how I can slip a reference of Hans Fritzel into a match report and, again, can’t think of a way to do it. I’m in a bit of shock to tell you the truth. I’m lost for words for once…..

…well maybe not entirely…..I’ll see how we go.

Today’s game was essentially a waste of time (as I side note, the opposing team may read this and take umbrage to what I’m going to say, but like a kid who’s been caught picking his nose at the dinner table by mum or dad, someone has to say something and stand up: no, this isn’t right). Matty D, Jimmy C’s wise counsel on all matters cricket (ats), said this at the end of the match. And he was right. He normally is.

And this is why. The opposition did not respect the spirit of cricket. By playing roughly 7 colts, 3 older blokes, and one international player from Sri Lanka (he was brilliant to watch….no doubt) it made a mockery of what Sunday games are about. To me, as somebody who has watched all of the games so far this season, Sunday games are, as much as Jimmy C wants to win every one of them, an opportunity to blood the future players of the club. It is an opportunity to give the regular club players a chance to improve on Saturday’s performance, and also to allow the more senior members of the club to mix with the younger guys. Add to the mix some spirit, belief and fitness and, hey presto, you’ve got yourself a good day out. Simple.

Today wasn’t like this at all. Not by a long shot. Despite the Wick putting on 221 runs, in 40 overs – the second highest tally of the season – they still managed to lose out to probably the best batsman I’ve seen in a long time. And when I say the best – blatantly far far far far far far far too good for this level. That he made Graham Tong look like an average bowler says it all (GT remember got 6/17 against Teddington at their own ground about two months ago!!!).

He made 160 runs not out (shut up!!). To try and counter this onslaught, Skipper Jimmy C put everyone on the boundary line. Even this made no difference. He hit everything to or over the boundary. Bowl him a Yorker: he’d hit you for 4 down the ground. Bowl a bouncer: he hit you for 6. You couldn’t stop him. And it was game over. And they (read: he) won the game.

But not fair and square. What I’m still struggling to get my head around is what someone gains from playing at a level well below their ability. What does it prove? Why would someone play at a level so far beneath themselves? Just to say look at me, aren’t I a great cricketer and better than all of you? How are your teammates, just starting out in the game, supposed to develop and grow when you keep hogging the limelight? I’d like to know mate. Perhaps you should write a post to this match report. Maybe I’ve missed something….

Anyway – just to provide you with a brief run down of the match.

The Wick lost the toss and were sent in to bat. Matty D and Nathan got the boys of to a flying start, going at roughly 5 an over. Once Matty D and Nathan got out in their 40s, Graham Tong, alongside Jimmy C, decided to bash the ball around. He made an impressive 76 (I think). At the break, the Wick had reached 220 (thank you Alison for scoring – I luv ya work)

Tea – nice variety from DBW. Wasn’t too hungry, so I’d say…….ats

Out to the field to defend the total. Tommy Robinson, Parkesy, Hirshy, Duncan, and Tonga all bowled brilliantly well. Tommy had a great spell and even managed to make their opener (a 12 yr old perhaps) cry on the pitch after being hit by the ball. Tommy laughed and, as soon as he had gone out a few balls later, Matty D provided a common sense look at what had happened:

“Look, to be honest, this is a man’s game. I shouldn’t have to become a colt because of him. He should become a man, because of me.”

Beautiful appraisal Matty.

Parkesy bowled a magnificent spell, particularly to the little master as he hit basically everyone else. Hirsh bowled brilliantly also, picking up 3 wickets – all bowled.

In order to win the match, the Wick needed to keep the freak show off strike often enough. They couldn’t do it. Looking back, had the boys known about who was coming in to bat, Matty D may have opened the bowling with Nathan (no disrespect boys) so as to try and not get a wicket. But that would have been unsporting…..get it?

So – it was a surreal end to the match as the boys trudged off the field. Some of the opposition were happy to have won the game, although you could see that they expected it. What was most striking was how unimpressed their best batsman was at having scored 168+, describing it as “that’s what I always get….” Says it all really.

I don’t know what this match did for the opposition’s younger players. If you can explain to me how they benefited from the experience, email your thoughts in. Regardless, I’m off to bed to try and put it all behind me.

See you all next week. Stay safe and believe.

Wickman Junior

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This explains why he, also their Captain was so disinterested in the apres-cricket and the scorebook, which was noted up with balls faced and minutes taken for each of his three fifties. I resent the time it took to count up his poxy balls and wished I had spent longer drinking with my boys!

Anonymous said...

age, but i dod say before the game that their overseas sri lankan would score 100+. and he did

Anonymous said...

it was simply a sad day for cricket all around. I'm convinced i saw DBW wipe a tear frmo his eye toward the end of the match. Perhaps it was a drop of rain?

Great teas again mate. Are you related to John Candy?

Belief