Thursday 30 January 2014

Nets

Its that time again in early Feb,
Find your kit, dust off the webs.
Locate your box you thought you'd lost
Sniff the pads – that smell you’ve missed the most.
Test the gloves that fit so snug
Hardened by the winter fug.
Whose sock is this? It reeks of piss.
This towel OH GOD why did I miss
This item when I cleared the bag,
Last year I could have sworn I had.

Its Tiffin School, the indoor bit,
Around the back lets have a hit
And test our eyes and reflexes clear
Imagine caressing the ball dear
Through the covers for two.
Hold the shot,
Let the skippers see what you’ve got
What it takes to make the grade
And do a job. You’re not afraid
Of Nomi bearing down on you at 80 percent
But quick enough to make you think.
Off stump. IT’S THERE!
It’s through the gate. Bowled. Despair.
Worse still its on film, and laughter from the rest
Hidden away at the back of the net.

But no matter. Im here. Im having a go.
I’ll find it again and then I’ll show
My skills, my talent, my commitment to the team
After all its only nets, so-ones really seen.

No comments: